Free access to Nigeria’s ‘Sun News Online’ web stats
For some reason, the online traffic analytics of one of Nigeria’s top news outlets, The Sun News Online, are available to the public. That’s right – a hyperlink inviting visitors to “View My Stats” exists in the footer of the Sun News Online site. In turn, a quick click brings us to a StatCounter page of this site which provides a variety of macro- and micro- trends. However, recent trends are limited to the last 100 page loads. Still, some interesting stats become apparent:
- The number of first-time visitors increased by 35% between 2007-2008, but has since leveled off to 13%
- Pageviews grew by 32% from 2007-2008 but have already increased by 28% in 2010 vs. 2009 with 4 months remaining in the year
- Internet Explorer is still the most popular browser used to access the site
- Even at 4am local time, Google AdSense banners receive greater than 1 click per minute (!)
- The “Sun Girl”, a brief personal ad that changes daily, is disproportionately popular. Go figure.