Video, consumer, and mobile traffic expected to exponentially increase through 2016
As Cisco points out, networks are an essential part of business, education, government, and home communications. Many residential, business, and mobile IP networking trends are being driven largely by a combination of video, social networking, and advanced collaboration applications.
The Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) is the company’s ongoing effort to forecast and analyze the growth and use of IP networks worldwide. Projections are available for a variety of countries, regions, and segments. Africa is grouped with the Middle East.
- Monthly video traffic growth is expected to accelerate after 2013
- Video communications is projected to gain in popularity after 2014
- Will be 10 times what it is in 2011 by 2016
- Consumer traffic is expected to show an exponential trend through 2016
- Major absolute gains after 2013
- Mobile data traffic will grow 4x as fast as fixed Internet
- Fixed data traffic was 16x that of mobile through 2011 but will only be 4x by 2016