How ADSL works in South Africa
MWEB, a South African Internet service provider, has created two short YouTube videos to explain how 1) ADSL works in South Africa and 2) how the Internet works. The animated and voiced-over videos are simple but effectively explain how international data arrives at a computer via the World Wide Web. Ultimately, the goal of these videos is to prevent us from taking the Internet for granted.
- Local loop = copper line running to local telco exchange
- Telco exchange directs to telco network
- the edge service router (ESP) confirms the customer is indeed allowed on the network
- the Internet Protocol Connect (IPC) link is then opened
- access to undersea fibre optic cable then provides the WWW to the user
The second video, found at MWEB’s YouTube channel, explains the basics of a network, servers, browsers, URLs, ways to get online, and popular online topics.