Rwanda Computer Bus
New approaches to eliminating the digital divide often garner media attention. Case in point: Rwanda’s lone traveling computer bus. VOANews recently filmed a segment about how the program is expected to stimulate small- and medium-sized businesses across Rwanda. After all, greater than 70% small-medium businesses are in rural parts of country.
Some information about the program:
- Set up by Rwanda’s Information Technology Authority and eRwanda Project
- There are 20 computers, a printer, and a scanner
- Fills gap in areas without electricity and locations that are far from telecentres
- The goal is to have more people use computers in private sector (most notably entrepreneurs)
- The bus will travel for remainder of year, spending 2 weeks at each stop