Video: Social media driving change in Kenya, South Africa
ABN Digital recently aired a segment that quickly looks at how social media has been leveraged to enhance communication in Kenya’s recent elections. World Wide Worx’s Arthur Goldstuck further explains the power of social media on the continent (which in this case is predominantly Kenya and South Africa).
- Social media is a powerful form of disseminating information
- Oscar Pistorious trial in South Africa has shown media importance of social media to spread information
- 2013 Kenya presidential elections were both a rallying point and news information source – Google’s portal helped check election news.
- YouTube is becoming increasingly important (youth is very engaged – plus bandwidth is becoming more affordable)
- Goldstuck: most impressive manifestation of social media driving change was after the 2007 Kenya Presidential elections (crowdmapping political violence)